Design and implement an effective
and accountable ECE-Post Secondary Model that
focuses on STEM/ STEAM (Science, Technology,
Engineering, Arts and Math) careers and life-long
Provide instructional rigor to ECE-12 students
that prepares them to successfully pursue a
post-secondary education, employment
opportunities, and enables them to become 21st
Century global leaders.
Evaluate and enhance all district curriculum to
ensure alignment to state standards.
Expand and sustain collaborative partnerships
with post-secondary institutions and private
industry workforce organizations to extend learning
beyond the classroom.
Expand and evaluate the effectiveness of
alternative campuses and recovery programs.
Implement an effective and systemic plan that
provides support for a balanced literacy model.
Provide evidenced-based professional
development that addresses the academic needs of
Develop a systemic district-wide technology
integration model and professional development
plan to optimize digital learning opportunities.
Provide student sub-groups access to equitable
opportunities to increase academic achievement
and graduation rates.
Expand early childhood programs throughout the
district utilizing a rich literacy curriculum.
Focus on middle school programs to close
academic achievement gaps and increase
grade level promotion rates.
Utilize periodic reviews to monitor state and
federal program requirements.
Expand and upgrade CTE programs to ensure
they are of sufficient quality and effectiveness to
meet industry standards, certification opportunities,
and technological trends.
Ensure a safe, healthy, caring
environment for everyone in our school district.
1. Annually update and evaluate the district’s Multihazard
Emergency Response Plan.
2. Comply with all applicable federal, state and local
environmental, health and safety laws.
3. Provide students with identified medical needs
that may impact them in the educational setting
with an individualized health plan (IHP) to
facilitate communication with family, health care
providers and staff.
4. Implement a comprehensive Wellness, Disease
Management and Employee Assistance Program
to promote a culture of wellness by facilitating
a supportive environment that encourages staff and
students to initiate behaviors that enhance their
total health to include: emotional, intellectual,
physical, and social wellness.
Provide for the affective, social,
emotional, and cognitive development of the
1. Develop and implement a plan to better prepare
students and increase the number of student
participants successfully completing
post-secondary entrance examinations
(PSAT, SAT, ACT, TSI).
2. Expand current partnerships to develop, implement,
and evaluate strategies that address post-secondary
opportunities and resources for all students.
3. Develop and implement strategies designed to
help all students take college entrance exams,
submit college applications, and complete college
financial aid applications (FASFA and TASFA).
4. Provide every student (Pre-K – 12)
opportunities for students and their families
to develop organizational, study, time
management, and goal setting skills through
campus and neighborhood-based programs.
5. Increase the number of seventh grade students who
qualify to participate in the Duke University Talent
Search Program by making funds available to take
the SAT and/or ACT.
6. Develop, implement and evaluate strategies
to increase enrollment of all students in Gifted
and Talented (GT), Career and Technology,
Dual Enrollment, Concurrent Enrollment, Magnet,
and Pre-AP/AP programs.
7. Evaluate and modify transitional initiatives from
elementary to middle school and middle school to
high school for all students.
8. Develop and implement district-wide procedures
and timelines for the creation of a campus master
scheduling process with timelines that address
student and campus needs.
9. Implement a student assistant program at the
campus level that will assist students with issues
interfering with learning (i.e. emotional distress,
family problems, or substance abuse).
10. Require that each campus guidance and counseling
program be designed to successfully serve all
students in individual or group settings.
11. Provide conflict resolution training, anti-bullying
strategies, and violence prevention education for
students and staff.
12. Develop and implement a recovery program for
over aged students who are at risk of dropping out
before they enter the 9th grade.
13. Provide methods of communication for parents
of middle school students on topics such as
graduation plans, course selection, and issues
related to post-secondary education.
14. Develop and implement a communication plan
to inform students and parents of the availability of
district programs and student support services.
15. Develop and implement strategies to teach
students, families, and BISD employees proper
uses of social media.
Strengthen partnerships and
communication among parents, community and
1. Provide opportunities for the development and
communication of programs, discussion of current
and future needs, and continuing education.
2. Provide training opportunities for parents and
community members in district curricula and other
personal professional topics identified by parents.
3. Capitalize on district and community resources by
creating partnerships with outside entities.
4. Encourage businesses to promote and support
schools and pursue active business partnerships,
thereby making education a top priority in our
5. Develop an incentive program for businesses to
promote and support family involvement in schools
(i.e., support employees through release time).
6. Increase opportunities for parents and students
to participate in community service and volunteer
7. Continued the BISD Community Parental
Involvement Advisory Committee to plan
and evaluate activities designed to build
partnerships among school staff, community
8. Ensure representative community and parent
involvement in school decision-making to the
extent that every school is responsive to the
community it serves.
9. Create an inviting atmosphere with continued
positive customer service.
10. Utilize technology to improve communication with
Provide appropriate facilities
to implement and support our current and future
1. Research funding possibilities for proposed
Strategic Plan Action Steps through grants,
reallocation of funds, and/or possible Bond Election.
2. Develop a detailed renovation plan that modernizes
current facilities and roofs; fulfills local, state and
federal codes; and supports all academic programs.
3. Provide adequate facilities for all ancillary
departments supporting the district’s instructional
4. Create and monitor a District Building and
Construction Plan that addresses maintenance and
safety issues and future growth needs.
5. Create, implement, and evaluate a district-wide
Energy Management and Conservation Awareness
Recruit, retain, and provide
research based professional development to
1. Develop a district recruitment and retention plan
that increases and maintains a qualified and
diverse pool of certified, classified and
2. Develop and maintain partnerships with local
colleges, universities, regional service center and
the community to identify potential candidates.
Seek partnerships with UTRGV to develop cohorts
for master’s degrees to assist dual enrollment
3. Utilize the BISD Human Resource web page to
allow the posting of vacancies and the processing
of online applications for certified and classified
4. Create effective and efficient timelines and
practices for the hiring, transferring and staffing
of positions including a reflective exit interviewing
5. Analyze and accurately project future staffing
needs for schools and departments which considers
student enrollment, retirement, attrition and transfer
6. Recognize employees and campus teams for
outstanding service and for achieving attendance.
7. Host a new teacher orientation and welcome
luncheon for teachers new to the profession and
8. Provide professional development to district-wide
administrators regarding effective hiring skills and
leadership development opportunities. Include
mentoring or cross-training program for employees
aspiring to different positions.
9. Expand the District Wellness Program for
employees to include financial, emotional or health
10. Provide professional development on required
topics as outlined by the Texas Education Agency
(TEA), district initiatives and requirements, and
needs identified by Texas Academic Performance
Reports (TAPR), including technology learning
opportunities for employees.
11. Conduct an annual evaluation of district sponsored
professional development and recruitment
12. Develop a partnership with local universities that
includes pre-service and post-graduate training
13. Provide training for the Site-Based Decision
Making (SBDM) committee in the development of
campus plans to ensure district policies and
procedures are followed and needs of the specific
campus students and teachers are met.